Ithaka Advocates Online Publishing by Universities
The nonprofit group Ithaka provides a variety of services that benefit higher education. It recently published a report calling for the use of the Internet and new technology for scholarly publishing by universities in the United States.
Traditionally, universities in the United States have made use of university presses to disseminate their scholarly knowledge. Ithaka's report, "University Publication in a Digital Age," reviews the role of universities in the United States and their role in publishing scholarly works. It states:
- Universities should become actively involved in publishing their own scholarship and should desist from letting others publish this information for them.
- Administrators should make greater efforts to recognize the role played by university presses. Furthermore, universities should seek strategic partnerships to lower costs and extend the reach of scholarly publishing.
- University administrators and others should play active roles in rejuvenating the university publishing system by stimulating action and initiating investment.
- Existing university presses should extend their familiarity to the electronic publishing environment. Currently, university presses are facing a variety of financial challenges. Adapting to electronic methods of publishing will help them overcome these challenges.
- Universities should collectively invest in a technological platform that can "support innovation in university-based, mission-driven publishing."
If these measures are taken, Ithaka argues, university-published electronic literature will become capable of offering viable alternatives to commercial scholarly publications, which present formidable competition due to their marketing power and intensive capital resources. University presses will also strengthen their traditional role as "knowledge arms" by improving their viability and financial stability.
Ithaka downplays print publishing and argues that digital publishing will give more flexibility to university presses in terms of the role they play. It also stresses the importance of the cooperation of libraries and other institutions in accommodating digital products. The report takes the view that while a significant portion of the academic community has adapted to the online environment, administrators have been slow to follow up on this trend.
+ Consolidate Your Private or Federal Student Loans Now! (Save Thousands!!)
Tell A Friend
The Career Resources column is presented by EmploymentCrossing, America's leading job search site dedicated to getting people jobs.
IRS Reminds Students of "Tax-Advantaged Education Expenses"
By Surajit Sen Sharma
On September 11th, the IRS news release "Back-to-School Tax Breaks Help Teachers Pay Classroom Costs; Aid Parents, Students With College Tuition" stressed the importance of saving receipts and maintaining expense records to take full advantage of deductions on educational expenses and credits available on federal income tax returns for 2007.
+ read more
|Stafford Loan Payment Calculator|
|PLUS Loan Payment Calculator|
|Loan Consolidation Payment Calculator|